Re: WARNING: ReiserFS (and request for help!)

On 08 Apr 2001 10:59:19 +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> These are exactely the kind of faults that I've been getting. This is
> with a 2.4.2 kernel. Just to let you know, 2.4.3 refused to compile (I
> suspect there was some corruption of the source code), so because things
> were getting worse, I tarred up /home and plonked it on a spare partition
> and have now started a fresh, going back to potato (with long overnight
> upgrades) and ext2.
>
> I'm not gonna try reiserfs until at least 2.4.8 if not later.

Hmmm, I don't know if you got my previous reply. Seems evolution didn't
send it but crashed the composer. I'll repeat:

Some minutes before I got your mail, I'd finished "fixing" my problems.
Since reiserfschk seems very unstable I ditched my --rebuild-tree plan
and simply tarred up /usr (tar cvzpPf), went to single user mode,
stopped all processes with files open on /usr (lsof|grep /usr) and then
umounted /usr. I then did a mkfs.reiserfs, rebooted and untarred (tar
xvzpPf). This went surprisingly well, since no vital files were affected
on my machine, just fortune, which I'll reinstall.

Going back to ext2fs is too much for me, so I'll stay with reiser. The
machine is now up and running anyway, so I don't expect major
user-induced problems that require a hard boot :) and I guess even an
unstable reiser shouldn't have major problems then. My laptop will stay
on ext2 for the time being, though.

Good luck to you, M.

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government