Re: Debian on a RAID How do I?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 10:58:45PM +0200, Daniel de los Reyes wrote:
> We are planning to by a server with 3 scsi drives and a dpt 2100s raid
> controller.
> I am quite confused about how I should set the thing up to get Debian
> running.
> Will Potato's boot disks recognise the raid controller?
> If I use the three drives in a Raid5 array can I boot off it?
> Should I have a forth drive to install and boot from it and use the raid
> array for var, home and such?
>
> Could somebody please light a torch over me?

The only hardware raid controllers that are built into the stock debian
kernels (as used when installling debian) are the mylex raid controllers.

If you've got one of those the you're laughing: just find every god damn
howto you can which is about hardware raid and booting and all the other
problems associated with it.

If you've not got a mylex raid controller then I can only suggest you
install onto a bog standard ide disk, set up to compile a new kernel,
patch that kernel with the drivers for whichever raid controller you are
using and then compile and install your own kernel.

The pray again.

Hope this kinda helps....

Matthew

--