Re: Debian on a RAID How do I?

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 05:09:29AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> running root  on raid5 is tricky stuff...
> 	- i think is a bad idea... ( just silly me )

Hardware or software?  I'll run hardware RAID any time I can afford it
on all the disks, thanks ... catastrophic data loss can still be
prevented by backups.

> 3 disks based raid5 is in-efficient...
> 	a 2 disk raid1 ( mirroring ) is 1/3 as expensive
> 	and does almost an identical function of maintaining
> 	data while only one disk dies in 3-disk raid5 or 2 disk mirror ??

Uh, how do you figure?

3 18G UW SCSI drives @ $300 = 36G RAID5 storage for $900: $25/G

2 18G UW SCSI drives @ $300 = 18G RAID1 storage for $600: $33.3/G

RAID5 is cheaper (per G) given your 3 vs 2 disk scenario.  RAID1 is
2/3 the total price of RAID5.

> for dpt-2100S... dpt is typically supported...
> but which distro and which kernel might affect "it's supported"...
> 	- try it and see what happens

Older DPT cards work fine ... I've heard the newer cards are a PITA.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.