Re: Proposal: dpkg change: scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 02:13:06PM +0200, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I mounted /var as noexec/nodev because of security reasons.
> I created partition /exec for using it on scripts etc that needs to be
> executed.
>
> Now I can't install packages - dpkg extracts package into
> /var/lig/dpkg/tmp.ci directory which is created for every new package and
> removed after installasion.
>
> the workaround could be moving whole /var/lig/dpkg to /exec partition and
> making a symlink from /var/lib.
>
> Well I don't like this way. prerm and postinst scripts are stored in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info - making THIS a symlink seems much better.
>
> but I even would like dpkg to put all scripts in separate directory and run
> it from there.
>
> making tmp.ci a symlink to /exec is impossible because that symlink would be
> removed every time dpkg is called
>
> Therefore I propose changing dpkg behaviour - store all scripts in separate
> directory that wouldn't be removed every time dpkg is called.
>
> comments?

yes, just remove the noexec for /var.

noexec provides no real security whatsoever.  nosuid,nodev are more
useful.

try this:

$ cp /bin/date /noexecfs
$ /noexecfs/date
(you get a permission denied)
$ /lib/ld-2.1.3.so /noexecfs/date
(date runs normally)

this is for potato, woody/sid would probably be /lib/ld-2.2.2.so or
something.  the point is noexec does not prevent you from running
binaries on that filesystem.  same thing with shell scripts, /bin/sh
/noexecfs/shellscript.sh works just fine without even execute
permissions.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/