ssh, not telnet (was Re: Give me my econ-gnome-ical text mode back!)

on Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:33:29PM -0400, Kevin Stokes (list@pieskysoft.com) wrote:
>   Thanks for the guidance on getting rid of the automatic gnome-login.
>
> > I'm not exactly sure what you want this program for, but you seem to
> > want to use telnet as a client in which case you'd want 'telnet'
> > package, rather than 'telnetd'; the 'd' at the end of telnet lets
> > you know it's a daemon, in other words, it's installing a telnet
> > server for you to allow others to telnet to your machine.
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I want to do.   I already have telnet on my
> Linux system, and it appears to work, although none of my Windows
> machines will allow me to telnet to them.

You need a remote session server for Legacy MS Windows.  There are both
telnet and ssh *daemons* (servers or services under Legacy MS Windows)
which will allow this.  Or you can use VNC, Virtual Network Computer, to
provide remote *graphical* access to your 'doze boxen.

>  What I'm looking to do is be able to run Telnet on my Windows
>  machines, and log into my Linux system across the room and use it,
>  since it would be much more comfortable for me.
>
> Security is not a huge issue since my local network is sitting behind
> a hardware firewall anyway.

While I understand the logic, it's bad thinking.

First:  get out of bad habits.

Second:  there's remote access functionality which telnet provides which
ssh does not (and several functionalities telnet fails to provide).
Ditch it.

Third:  if anything *should* penetrate your firewall (hacker, you put up
wireless networking, you take a laptop out of your net into a hostile
environment, etc.), running a telnet daemon is a Bad Idea®.

Remove telnetd from all your systems.  Some people suggest stripping
telnet as well and using nc (netcat) for the particular functionality
you might still need.

Install and configure sshd on your GNU/Linux boxes.  There are clients
and servers for virtually all platforms, see Rick Moen's comprehensive
list of SSH clients here:

    http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients

>   Thanks again for the help.   I do have another mega-newbie question.   I
> was using CONTROL-ALT-DELETE to shutdown my Linux system.   Since it
> auto-starts the GNOME stuff now, this no longer does anything.   What is the
> command to shut down?

with <ctrl><alt>-F[1-6] (where F[1-6] is one of the first six function
keys).  Then issue the Vulcan nerve pinch.  Better yet, issue "shutdown
-h now" as root.