Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 03:02:51PM -0800, Krzys Majewski wrote:

> This is strictly non-Debian but I haven't found any info on this
> anywhere so maybe someone can help: can I run a PIII with the CPU
> fan unplugged, provided I underclock it?  I ran my Katmai 500MHz
> processor with the fan unplugged for a whole day, underclocked to
> 333MHz, it didn't even blink. This included 1.5 hours of intense
> benchmarking stuff (I was scared to push it for longer than
> that). Very hot though (couldn't touch the heatsink for more than a
> half second or so). Presumably this is not very good for the
> CPU. But will it last about a year under these conditions? What
> about other Intel CPU's? A Celeron? A gigahertz processor? If I
> underclock these things as far as they will go (on my mobo this
> means 66 MHz bus speed), will they run reliably without active
> cooling? Do I need a special heatsink? Where can I buy one? And so
> on.

I do not believe that this would be a good solution. If noise is your
primary you could check out the Silverado coolers from NoiseControl
and the review at Toms Hardware.

http://www.noisecontrol.de/ (almost entire site is in german)
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q1/010306/index.html

Hope this helps.