[OT] running a PIII with no fan?

This  is strictly  non-Debian but  I haven't  found any  info  on this
anywhere so maybe someone can help: can  I run a PIII with the CPU fan
unplugged, provided I underclock it?  I ran my Katmai 500MHz processor
with the  fan unplugged  for a whole  day, underclocked to  333MHz, it
didn't  even blink. This  included 1.5  hours of  intense benchmarking
stuff (I was scared to push  it for longer than that). Very hot though
(couldn't  touch  the  heatsink  for   more  than  a  half  second  or
so). Presumably  this is not very good  for the CPU. But  will it last
about a year  under these conditions? What about  other Intel CPU's? A
Celeron? A gigahertz processor? If I underclock these things as far as
they will go (on  my mobo this means 66 MHz bus  speed), will they run
reliably without active  cooling? Do I need a  special heatsink? Where
can I buy one? And so on.

thanks,
chris