Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

I  dropped  by  the  campus  bookstore  just now  and  saw  two  quiet
machines. One  is of course the Apple  G4 Cube. You can  hear the hard
drive on  it, but only  barely. It's  a bit of  a black box  though --
didn't see where I could plug in, say, a microphone. The display model
had  a huge  (>= 24")  LCD screen  and played  DVD's  nicely (hardware
decoding? software decoding?).
The other is this box called Sony Vaio Sound Studio, or something like
that. It  looks like  a regular  ATX-type box but  with a  nicer paint
job. Didn't hear any CPU fan on it, can anyone confirm this?
As far  as variable speed, goes,  I think my  Slot-1 motherboard (ASUS
p3v133)  supports  it,  since  the  hardware monitor  (both  BIOS  and
lm-sensors) report fluctuating fan speeds. However, I think the p3v133
doesn't  have   enough  temperature  sensors  to   make  this  feature
useful. Basically the  fan always spins at 4000-4500  RPM. It seems to
me if I could do the same thing to my CPU fan as I did to my P/S fan -
re-wire it to  run at a lower  voltage - both my computer  and my ears
would  be happy. A  proper temperature  sensor (thermistor?)  would of
course be the right solution, anyone know how to build/buy/install one
of these? Failing that, maybe I'll  just get a resistor at Radio Shack
and  try   patching  that   into  the  wire   from  the  fan   to  the
motherboard.. suggestions on this also welcome.

-chris