RE: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

You could also make yourself a noise silenced case wich to put your computer
into. Would cost you but wouldn't be such a _crazy_ thing to do. What you
could also do is get yourself an SMP board and plug in two slower cpu's
(333Mhz or so). If you would be running a 2.4 or even 2.2 kernel on that i
guess it would be a great machine without any cooling (do take some fancy
cooling FINS with you) You might want to check out the golden orb coolers.

Also, did you try this ... if your CPU is horizontal to the ground your
fan's might start resonating due to bad construction, even more expensive
fans start to fail here, try positioning your computer so that the cpu is
vertical to the ground ... can cut ventilation noise a lot. !!! Warning !!!
'OLDER' harddisk might CRASH because of this !!! REALLY i've had one die on
me last week because of it.

Take care and be creative.

Cya,

Joris