Re: how to edit the kernel....make menuconfig???

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 12:52:17PM -0800, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> ktb <x.y.f@home.com> writes:
>
> > > If these Debian patches are so  great, why aren't they in the official
> > > kernel source?
> > >

> > Because the patches didn't exist when 2.2 was released.  That is the
> > nature of a patch.  For the most part patches are created to fix
> > bugs that were unknown when the original was released.
>
> OK, so these are official kernel.org patches then? Or something else?

Yes, official.

> > > There's too many Unixes as it is, why have more than one Linux?
> > >

> > Unix/Linux is a tool.  Do you use only one tool when fixing a car?  No, you
> > use the right tool for the right job.
> > kent
>
> Hm, not  sure I buy  this comparison. When  fixing a car  it's usually
> pretty clear whether you need an Allen key or a Philips screwdriver or
> whatever. The  choice between  Redhat and Debian,  or even  the choice
> between Solaris  and GNU/Linux, is  nowhere near this clear.   I guess
> Unix  is like a  toolbox, except  there are  many different  brands of
> tools and  the various  brands are only  vaguely compatible  with each
> other. If  only it were possible,  as you suggest, to  pick and choose
> tools from various brands  of toolboxes..  unfortunately, this doesn't
> work:  you wouldn't normally  take a  Solaris box  and add  the Debian
> package manager to it, for example.

<snip>

Things become much more clear after you have researched and used the various
flavors.  It is very clear to me why I use OpenBSD for firewalls and
very clear to me why I use Debian instead of Redhat for my workstations.
Just as clear as when I look at a screw and know I need an Allen wrench
or a Philips screwdriver.  Some of these reasons are technical, some are
personal or more subjective.  I did not suggest picking tools from
various brands of toolboxes.  I suggested picking the tool.  OpenBSD is
a good security "tool."  Debian is a good workstation "tool."

You say that it is 'unfortunate that you can't add the Debian package
manager to Solaris.'  This wish is partially why there are so many flavors
of unix out there.  People build a new distro of Linux because they feel
that what is out there is less than what they want.  Your very wish to "pick
and choose tools from various  brands of toolboxes" is what has created
your frustration of wading through the various nuances of unix.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted