Re: how to edit the kernel....make menuconfig???

ktb <x.y.f@home.com> writes:

> > If these Debian patches are so  great, why aren't they in the official
> > kernel source?
> >

> Because the patches didn't exist when 2.2 was released.  That is the
> nature of a patch.  For the most part patches are created to fix
> bugs that were unknown when the original was released.

OK, so these are official kernel.org patches then? Or something else?

> > There's too many Unixes as it is, why have more than one Linux?
> >

> Unix/Linux is a tool.  Do you use only one tool when fixing a car?  No, you
> use the right tool for the right job.
> kent

Hm, not  sure I buy  this comparison. When  fixing a car  it's usually
pretty clear whether you need an Allen key or a Philips screwdriver or
whatever. The  choice between  Redhat and Debian,  or even  the choice
between Solaris  and GNU/Linux, is  nowhere near this clear.   I guess
Unix  is like a  toolbox, except  there are  many different  brands of
tools and  the various  brands are only  vaguely compatible  with each
other. If  only it were possible,  as you suggest, to  pick and choose
tools from various brands  of toolboxes..  unfortunately, this doesn't
work:  you wouldn't normally  take a  Solaris box  and add  the Debian
package manager to it, for example.

My main problem  with software, and especially free  software, is that
there's too *much* choice -- which suggests to me that none of options
are  really very  good.  Sort  of like,  say, Christianity:  there are
hundreds of  different flavours, they all  claim to be  The Right One,
and  they  all  disagree  with  each other.   (This  argument  doesn't
necessarily hold in reverse: for  example, there is only one Microsoft
Windows, and yet public opinion suggests it's far from perfect.)

With software,  I'm hoping  this is something  that will  improve over
time. For example,  if you type 'ls' at a Solaris  box and a GNU/Linux
box, you can expect to get the same result. Presumably this is because
'ls'  has   been  around   for  30  years,   and  has  more   or  less
stabilized.  Some things have  not stabilized yet: 'tar', for example,
will give different results on Solaris and GNU/Linux.

The  Linux kernel  is a  tool  that is  good for  one particular  job:
running a Unix  workstation.  (It is not so good  for other jobs, like
real-time heart monitoring, for example.)   For all I know, the Debian
kernel patches  may be a A Good  Thing (TM). The reason  I bristled at
the idea, in my previous post, is this: the Linux kernel strikes me as
a Good  Tool (TM), and  I like to  see Good Tools  standardize, rather
than fork into many competing flavours.   I like to be able to compile
my Linux kernel  and my friend's Linux kernel, and  get that same warm
fuzzy compatibility feeling  that I get from typing  'ls' on different
kinds of Unix boxes.  *That's* security.

Forget about  protecting your box from imaginary  teenage hackers. The
real  threat is  in the  form  of legions  of benevolent  programmers,
wielding  the power to  make your  computer forever  incompatible with
anybody else's.

-chris