Re: how to edit the kernel....make menuconfig???

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 08:53:46AM -0800, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Shawn Yarbrough wrote:
>
> > Use the 'kernel-source' packages and you will get extra features and
> > bugfixes patched in by Debian which are not in stock Linux.  For example
> > 'kernel-source-2.2.18pre21'.  When installed the archive gets put into
>
> Is this anything like  RedHat's customized kernels? My experience with
> those was that the headers were broken in a subtle but deep way,
> so  that third-party  kernel  module source,  for  example, would  not
> compile.

No.

> If these Debian patches are so  great, why aren't they in the official
> kernel source?

Because the patches didn't exist when 2.2 was released.  That is the
nature of a patch.  For the most part patches are created to fix
bugs that were unknown when the original was released.

> There's too many Unixes as it is, why have more than one Linux?

Unix/Linux is a tool.  Do you use only one tool when fixing a car?  No, you
use the right tool for the right job.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted