Re: how to edit the kernel....make menuconfig???

Krzys Majewski wrote:

> There  is an official  debian way  to recompile  kernels, but  I don't
> bother..  download the  kernel  source from  debian.org or  kernel.org

Use the 'kernel-source' packages and you will get extra features and
bugfixes patched in by Debian which are not in stock Linux.  For example
'kernel-source-2.2.18pre21'.  When installed the archive gets put into
'/usr/src/'.  You must 'bunzip2' it and 'tar xvf' it before you can
finally cd to the Linux source tree.

At that point you can do the 'make' commands you listed.

Or you can try the 'kernel-package' package which has some nice
features.  It does the build commands for you plus it builds a nice .deb
package in '/usr/src' containing your kernel, any modules compiled for
your kernel, and installation scripts.

But if you do use 'kernel-package' be sure to 'zless
/usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz' and search on 'Brave' for
instructions.  Ignore the 'kernel-package' man pages which are useless
for beginners.

Shawn Yarbrough
shawn@nailstorm.com