Re: sound compiled into kernel as opposed to a module

On 20 Mar 2001, Charles Lewis wrote:
> I have a es1371 card and I've compiled support into the kernel (not as a
> module). How does the install process differ? Before all I had to do was go
> into modconf and select it. Now I'm not sure what to do.
>
> It is detecting the card on bootup. I see it in /proc/devices and
> /proc/interrupts but if I cat something to /dev/dsp, I don't get any sound.
> What else do I need to do to make it work?
>
> --
> Charles Lewis
> lewisc@delta.swau.edu
> 817-556-4720

I do this as well, with the same card. I don't have to do anything at
all for sound to work; in fact, it's so simple that at first I didn't
realize it was working at all, and cast around for some way to get it
working!

Have you tried playing sound from a file  or the CD drive?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Gnu/Debian Linux (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books, skeptical essays, and over 120 book reviews, go to:

Better say nothing at all. Language is worth a thousand pounds a word!
                                                     [Lewis Carroll]