Re: apt-get and growing cache

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 10:48:04AM +0100, christophe barbe wrote:
> Thank you to point me to the man command that I already know (-;.
> But you not really answer to my questions.

normally that "man" command pointer just looks like "RTFM" but
you got the long version. (don't you feel special?)

> Why are packages kept ?
> How can I stop this ? (how to say "stop keeping downloaded packages")

<guess> so that if you trash a setting or a binary executable
somehow (something *I* have never done, ever, myself, since
tuesday) then you can just

	apt-get --purge remove gooped-up-package
	apt-get install gooped-up-package

and you won't have to wait for a long download to get something
you've already got. </guess>

the other reason might be that the apt-get package maintainers
probably own stock in disk drive companies. (now and then on this
list you'll see recommendations for specific brand names... :)

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!