Re: sound compiled into kernel as opposed to a module

Hi,

my opinion is that it is better to compile drivers as modules. When a
device is messed up, you can rmmod and insmod the driver, and sometimes it
works again.

For info about your driver, read the kernel source documents in
/usr/src/linux/Documents/sound/es1371

Usually there is useful information in there, but not in that document.

Generally you do:
modprobe sound
insmod soundlow
insmod soudcore
insmod sound
insmod es1371

(perhaps just 'modprobe sound' and 'insmod es1371' will work too)
then you should be able to cat to /dev/dsp.

Hope it helps
Sebastiaan