Re: Linux Network Security: POP

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 04:59:23AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:38:36PM +0100, William Leese wrote:
> > Having a cable modem I'm concerned with the fact that when I use email my
> > password is sent in clear text over the network. I've heard that there were
>
> as you should be, cable modems generally are equivilent to large
> unswitched lans, which means any bozo with a cable modem can set thier
> machine to primisquous mode and see every packet sent by any cable
> modem user.  (at least for that segment)

Bzzzt.  This is simply not true with DOCSIS modems (if you can cite a
provable example I'd love to hear about it).  It's also not true with
LANCity Gen3 modems at least.  It might work with the super-old Zenith
stuff but I don't know anyone sane using that.  (My prior employer
still is in one market :/ )

Cable modems act as a layer-2 bridge.  To prevent the sniffing problem
you are talking about, each modem is programmed to proxy arp a finite
number of MAC addresses (usually one).  So, unless you are a technical
wizard and have access to documentation that the manufacturers won't
even give the cable companies, you are SOL if you want to sniff your
neighbors.

When I worked for a cable provider, I wanted a sniffer so we could
troubleshoot.  Obviously I needed a modem that could be set to
"promiscuous" mode.  The official word was it couldn't be done.  I was
unofficially informed that it could be done but the manufacturer
didn't plan on that software ever leaving the factory.

> > other services that could be used instead of POP but i'm not sure if that can
> > be used here if my provider doesnt support it.
>
> imap over ssl maybe..

Some providers support POP over SSL.  Usually that implies a clueful
provider, and, well, we're talking about cable companies :)

> > For my email I use my providers POP server. For sending email I also use
> > their server. Though in the past I used sendmail, can someone tell me the
> > advantages of using one over the other?
>
> if you have a static ip and your connection is actually stable you
> could just run your own mailserver and have mail delivered directly to
> it.  that way you don't need pop3 or imap.  no passwords sent anywhere
> that way.  you still need to use GnuPG to encrypt any mail you don't
> want everyone seeing but you should do that regardless of your network
> connection.

Except you now risk running afoul of the DUL.

> > Also, if there any way I can encrypt the passwords being sent without the
> > provider taking any needed steps to enable me to do so?
>
> only if you have a shell account on thier pop3 server via ssh, then
> you can tunnel the pop3 connection over ssh.  if you have a shell
> account on any of thier machines that would probably still be an
> improvment since you would get the connection encrypted at least into
> thier hopefully switched and secure lan and off the insecure cable
> modem network.
>
> unfortunatly there seems to be a law saying all ISPs must suck, and
> thus shell access is an endangered species.  along with static ips,
> reliability, security, etc etc....

Can't argue with that.  The sad thing is, a "geek oriented" ISP
wouldn't necessarily get very far; the mass horde is fairly happy with
the crap they've got.

Cheers,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.