In a downward spiral

Help

I have a problem with emacs when being accessed through ssh in that
the backspace key is generating a C-h so I keep getting help when I am
trying to edit.

Funny thing is, if I go to the machine directly and access it in
console mode then emacs works as it is supposed to.

One anomoly I have discovered is that the client terminal emulator is
konsole running on a machine which has the keymap set to british on
startup.  My server doesn't seem to have any keymap set.

So I thought I would load console-data in order to do this.

My sources.list points at ftp.uk.debian.org and selects woody

But although that package (and console-common) are listed on the web
site, the Packages.gz files don't seem to list them, because in
dselect or with apt-get I cannot find them.

So where to now?

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com