Linux Network Security: POP

Having a cable modem I'm concerned with the fact that when I use email my
password is sent in clear text over the network. I've heard that there were
other services that could be used instead of POP but i'm not sure if that can
be used here if my provider doesnt support it.

For my email I use my providers POP server. For sending email I also use
their server. Though in the past I used sendmail, can someone tell me the
advantages of using one over the other?

Also, if there any way I can encrypt the passwords being sent without the
provider taking any needed steps to enable me to do so?

William