Re: rc.local equivalent

Create a file in "/etc/init.d/" and call it whatever you wish. Then use
"update-rc.d" to create the symlinks needed to make it work. See the
"README" in "/etc/init.d/" for more details.

Holp, John Mr. <holpj@nwc.navy.mil> wrote:
: A couple of days ago  someone asked the question that was in the back of my
: mind, but I don't recall seeing the answer/s.

: In Red Hat and some other Red Hat "like" distributions the path sequence

: /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local

: can be used to execute your custom scripts and/or start daemons at boot
: time, that is they are run out of rc.local

: The person was asking what/where is the place where one does this kind of
: thing in Debian?

: I cannot find 	/etc/rc.d

: There is an 	/etc/rc.boot

: and a 		/etc/init.d

: If I wanted to start the printer daemon at boot time where would I put the
: following

: lpd	start

: You can also use 	rc3.d		to start the lpd daemon in the Red
: Hat way of doing things - is this the answer?

: This appears to be an area where things are done differently in Red Hat
: versus Debian

: Thanks

: John

: --