rc.local equivalent

A couple of days ago  someone asked the question that was in the back of my
mind, but I don't recall seeing the answer/s.

In Red Hat and some other Red Hat "like" distributions the path sequence

/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local

can be used to execute your custom scripts and/or start daemons at boot
time, that is they are run out of rc.local

The person was asking what/where is the place where one does this kind of
thing in Debian?

I cannot find 	/etc/rc.d

There is an 	/etc/rc.boot

and a 		/etc/init.d

If I wanted to start the printer daemon at boot time where would I put the
following

lpd	start

You can also use 	rc3.d		to start the lpd daemon in the Red
Hat way of doing things - is this the answer?

This appears to be an area where things are done differently in Red Hat
versus Debian

Thanks

John