Re: rc.local equivalent

> A couple of days ago  someone asked the question that was in the back of my
> mind, but I don't recall seeing the answer/s.
>
> In Red Hat and some other Red Hat "like" distributions the path sequence
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local
>
> can be used to execute your custom scripts and/or start daemons at boot
> time, that is they are run out of rc.local
>
> The person was asking what/where is the place where one does this kind of
> thing in Debian?

Debian doesn't have one.

I usually make /etc/rc.local manually and make /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local a
symlink to that.

> I cannot find 	/etc/rc.d
>
> There is an 	/etc/rc.boot
>
> and a 		/etc/init.d
>
> If I wanted to start the printer daemon at boot time where would I put the
> following
>
> lpd	start
>
> You can also use 	rc3.d		to start the lpd daemon in the Red
> Hat way of doing things - is this the answer?

Basically

RedHat tends to use the "nonstandard" runlevel 3 (ie /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, or
/etc/rc3.d if you're using RH 7.x) while Debian defaults to the "standard"
runlevel 2 (ie /etc/rc2.d).

"standard" or "nonstandard" in this case being compared to other Unix
implementations that use the SysV init (ie Irix, Solaris, HP-UX, etc).

> This appears to be an area where things are done differently in Red Hat
> versus Debian

One of them.

Basically everyting under /etc/rc.d on RedHat is under /etc on Debian.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc