Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:43:41AM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> >
> > I've a stylus color 880 (mmh, i guess is not a similar model, this model is a
> > 4 colors printer, the photo should be 6 colors), and have played with
> > pdq/xpdq and the linuxprinting stp driver (your printer is listed in the
> > supported printer of the stp driver).
>
> well i need to use lprng since i need other networked machines to
> access it as well.  pdq as i understand it is a daemonless localhost
> only thing.

You can use pdq/xpdq anyway as a front-end to the lprng printer spooling.

> > The binary debian gs package don't have the stp driver compiled by default,
> > but is present in the sources. I've found some trouble compiling myself  the
> > package (needs small changes in the sources) but the printer is now working.
>
> i noticed, gs is simply broken, when run by lprng (or by anyone for
> that matter, it only works in X) all it does is spit out `svgalib:
> Cannot get I/O permissions.'  regardless of driver or anything i do
> this is all it does.  i have tried compiling it without svga support
> but that just makes it crash.

I should have mentioned that the version of  gs i was referring is the 5.10-11
(the gs present in sid).

> > Anyway, the pdq driver created (a couple of weeks ago) with the linuxprinting
> > foomatic for the 880 is, at a first glance, incomplete: the only parameter
> > passed to gs is the printer model (correct me if i'm wrong), so the printer
> > is working only in 360 dpi. Passing manually the parameters to gs i was able
> > to print in higer resolution (1420x720), so it's only a matter to enhance the
> > pdq driver.
>
> all these drivers use gs, which is broken and unusable.

You could make a try to compile the sid version...

> > I'm not so skilled in bash scripting, but i've started to modify the pdq
> > driver myself...
> >
> > Hope this could help.
>
> unfortunatly not, nobody has been able to tell me why gs does not
> function.  i think i may just return this thing and get a used Apple
> laserwriter off ebay, these are true postscript printers and won't
> need this filter crap.
>
> thanks anyway.

The color option is nice, but i think a laser ps printer should be a better choice
for me too...

Andrea