Re: Reconstructing Var?

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 03:07:58PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 06:52:17PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> >
> > When /var went down, I was able to tar and bzip2 up /home /etc /root
> > and drop them into a windows partition which meant that I lost no real
>
> why did you do that? if you have seperate partitions there is no need
> to back them up, just don't initialize them in the debian installer.
> mount them instead.

what ethan means, is, altho there's probably a good reason to
back up just about anything, you don't have to reset your
partitions when you reinstall debian, even from a cd-boot. like
he said, just MOUNT already-initialized (and filled with booty)
partitions and you're off to the races...

backup whatever you want to back up. early. and often. take it
from the department of redundancy department. backups are a Good
Thing.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com