Re: kill: cannot kill some processes

William T Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, brian moore wrote:
>
> > > does the process list "Z" under STAT ? if it is the process has gone
> > > zombied and i don't think there is much you can do. sometimes zombie'd
> > > processes die on their own eventually many times they will not die until
> > > you reboot ..
> >
> > Not quite true... zombies don't ever die: they're already dead.
>
> While the description of zombie processes is accurate, I think another
> likely situation is that the process is in "uninterruptible sleep," i.e.
> the 'D' state.  This happens when a process is blocked in a system call -
> it will be 'D' until the kernel function returns.  Kernel bugs, hardware
> problems, and dead NFS mounts can cause these kernel functions to take
> a long time or forever.
>
> In such a case, you really are stuck; unless the resource the process is
> waiting for frees up, it's going to hang around until a reboot.
>
> One thing about zombie process: Don't worry about trying to "make" them go
> away.  They don't consume any CPU time, or any other resources other than
> the slot in the process table and the less than 1K of memory required to
> hold their state information.  They are not worth worrying about.

Not entirely true.  Init can inherit enough zombie processes that it
hits its process limit (1024, if I remember correctly).  Can you
'shutdown'?  Nope.  Not unless you can free up a slot.  And if
something's going haywire and spawning zombies quickly, this can be a
problem.

Not a common occurance, though...

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/