Re: Reconstructing Var?

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 07:29:21AM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> > /usr/bin/yes make backups\!\!\!
>
> I'm a student = have no money for backup devices. Plus I'm still really
> pissed off that I bought a 10gig 7200 rpm seagate about 3 days before a big
> thread in here on how unreliable seagates are. Agh!
>
> Plus I have no IDE slots left so would have to buy a SCSI = very expensive.
> poo :-(

well in this case you should split off your partitions, create
seperate / /tmp /usr /var and /home partitions.  then backup /var (or
just /var/lib/dpkg) to /home/backup/  *usually* filesystem corruption
does not end up wrecking all your filesystems at the same time, so if
only /var gets trashed (in this case) you still have a backup in
/home/backup.

if the disk dies your screwed, but this method protects you from
filesystem corruption fairly well.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/