Re[2]: Reconstructing Var?

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:48:59 -0900 Ethan Benson <Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:58:36PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
>
> > Weird - this is exactely what happened to me two weeks ago - I was just doing
> > some simple scans of the hard disc and reiserfs found some bugs. It then
> > completely wiped /var. /var/lib/dpkg was screwed (along with everything else
> > in /var) so I was reduced to reinstalling. Seeing as I track woody, and have
> > potato disks and a 56k modem connection, it has taken some time to get back
> > to normal.
> >
> > Sorry - no choice but to reinstall from scratch.
>
> /usr/bin/yes make backups\!\!\!

I'm a student = have no money for backup devices. Plus I'm still really
pissed off that I bought a 10gig 7200 rpm seagate about 3 days before a big
thread in here on how unreliable seagates are. Agh!

Plus I have no IDE slots left so would have to buy a SCSI = very expensive.
poo :-(

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman