Re: ghost for linux?

also sprach Peter Jay Salzman (on Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:14:36PM -0800):
> true.  it's called initrd.   rd for ramdisk.
>
> > utmp/wtmp,
>
> what does the kernel have to do with utmp and wtmp?   why would the kernel
> care about who is logging into your system?

okay, i see where you are coming from. from the initial discussion, i
thought someone wanted to create a cdrom that is bootable and the root
file system all at once. it is possible to do this, in fact, i run a
couple of firewalls that aren't anything but a mounted cdrom (or a r/o
floppy in some cases). but let me tell you this: making a cd bootable
given a harddisk with a valid root partition may be easy. creating a
"rescue cd" that is all in one and doesn't need a harddrive takes a
lot of time and many many cdr's!

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--