Re: Garbage for Text

on Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 08:19:23PM -0500, Robert Mosher (mosher@andrews.edu) wrote:
> I just got XFree 3.3.6 running on Debian 2.1r2, unfortunately the text is
> unreadable. It appears as a whole bunch of vertical lines, or random
> blocks. It appears this way at every resolution. However when I bring
> up a menu the text is fine until I high-light it with my cursor. The text
> remains this way even after the menu is closed and reopened. Everything
> else appears fine.
>
> If you know of any solutions please let me know, thanks.

What fonts are you using?

'xlsfonts > fontlist' from a terminal window (even if you can't read
what's being printed) should then be accessible from a console.

I suspect you're getting a barcode or wingdings type font displayed.  Is
there a font selection menu in any of your applications?  Have you tried
setting a global X resource for fonts, say:

    *font:    fixed

...which should set a default, and possibly readable, font for all apps.