alien/perl

I was trying to install alien in order to convert some
rpm's to deb's, so I downloaded the latest version of
alien in deb format.  I tried to dpkg --install it,
but it balked at my not having the package "perl"
installed on my system.  I have perl-5.005,
perl-5.005-base, perl-5.005-doc, perl-5.005-suid, and
perl-base installed.

I then went to dselect to try to find a package called
"perl", which there is, but it conflicts with
perl-5.005-base.  A lot of other packages depend on
the perl-5.005 packages, so installing the plain
'perl' package would break them.  I'm new to
debian/linux, so I don't want to mess things up by
removing perl-5.005, but I want to get alien
installed.  Any solutions/suggestions?

Also, I tried to dpkg --install perl-5.6.0-20_i386.deb
from the unstable section, and again the problem of
many of my packages depending on the perl-5.005
packages came up.

-JB