Re: Root Password problem

If you use lilo (or grub) :

if you normally boot by typing "linux"
type instead "linux init=/bin/bash" (or /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh the shell you
use/like)

it will do a minimal boot ( you don't have anything ) and a shell root.

Now do "passwd" and you should be able to type a new password without
supplying the old one....

Good Luck
Romain

PS: if for some reason this does not work, I think you can also boot on a
floppy (if you can't tweak your lilo), mount your usual root partition and
erase the crypted fields of /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. This means root
 doesn't have a password anymore...
Then reboot (if you booted from a floppy) and change the root passwd
immediately."if prompted for the older passwd just press Return"