Re: alien/perl

johnnyblade@geocities.com wrote:
>I was trying to install alien in order to convert some
>rpm's to deb's, so I downloaded the latest version of
>alien in deb format.

That would be the one from unstable, then? That requires unstable's perl
packages, which have been reorganized. Just use the one in your current
distribution.

>Also, I tried to dpkg --install perl-5.6.0-20_i386.deb
>from the unstable section, and again the problem of
>many of my packages depending on the perl-5.005
>packages came up.

Again - don't, unless you want to upgrade to unstable. Even in unstable
a lot of packages still haven't been updated to cope with the
reorganization.