need some help with ELM

This is actually a touch off-topic, but figured I'd throw it out, anyway.  I have a website hosted on a RH box with a shell account.  I'm trying to get ELM setup properly to read my mail from the shell.  ELM was already installed, but nothing was configured.  I am able to access my mail by using the 'elm -f inbox' command, but things are still not configured correctly.  New messages are not identified with an 'N' (there's no ID at all), my return address is set to the box hostsname rather than my domain name.  Come to think of it, none of the messages are identified at all (r for replied, N for new, etc) except for delete.

I have looked around a bit for config information but have found nothing.  Can anyone help me configure this properly or point me to documents that would help with this?

Thanks.