Re: pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:35:57PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sun 25 Feb 01,  9:20 PM, Carel Fellinger said:
> >
> > <rant>
> > And that's why so many have problems with it, they refuse to RTFM!
> > There is no need whatsoever to have any problems with GPM and X,
> > just follow the examples and try to read the manpage for a change.
> > <\rant>
>
> i think we all know the saying "man pages are great for reference, but
> sometimes suck to learn from".
>
> try to re-read the man page for gpm with the mindset of someone who doesn't
> know what gpmdata is or what "repeating" means.   if you can do this
> honestly, i'll bet you'll find that the information is there, but requires a
> definite leap of intuition.  the man page definitely makes the possibility
> of conflict known.  it just isn't supremely clear about how to resolve the
> problem.

I know, and in the past I've shown that I'm more then willing to help out,
but if somewone comes in telling he has no man or info pages installed
I some times get just a little pissed off:)  But nonetheless I think I
explained it all, didn't I?  (But I appolojize (shees, cant type it:)
for the outburst. Must be a louse day, I freigtend me elder kids too)

> perhaps the answer is to make "repeat_type=raw" in the default gpm.conf, and
> to use type=protocol to specify the mouse protocol in XF86Config-4.

Ah, that's right, I'm still using X-3 on this machine.

> if you can configure your consol mouse during installation, it seems to me
> that this would guarentee no problems with the mouse during X.

Yep, but use /dev/mouse linked to /dev/gpmdata even in the early stages
of X configuration. Saves a lot of headaches later on:)

--
groetjes, carel