Re: *.gz

On Saturday 24 February 2001 06:47, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:

> I admit it.  I'm a UNIX elitist.  I know not all people will not
Me too ;-)

> realize the philosophies of the UNIX operating system, the
> small-tools approach, but if I can influence just one person into
It's the greatest thing.

> What does mc(1) do?  It taps into the libc libraries and cuts off
> some of the most powerful and flexible features of our system.  The
> pipe is the bread and butter of UNIX.  Why else do you think system
I'm afraid you haven't seen mc for a while. It has some bugs in newer
versions, but is still my everyday tool.

It helps me keep an overview of all the small tools.

And to a newcomer it opens up the view on her filesystem. Imagine,
you're sitting in the dark (empty shell prompt) and type 'mc<enter>'.
Suddenly the FHS in all its beauty shines in front of you, browsable
with your fingertips (if you set Lynx-like-motion on).

When i was new to all this Linux stuff (not unix) i had trouble to find
docs, buried to usr/doc/package and usr/doc/package and man and info
and ... you see - mc was THE way for me to get in control.

I'm not going into a discussion about that topic. I simply repeat:
unix is small tools and pipes, and ... that's what makes it good;
a newbie gains an overview using mc!

I understand your point of view and personally like it, but ...
as above.

greetings, martin

--
Cross Building nano HOW-TO V 0.2