Re: *.gz

"Chad C. Walstrom" wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:32:41PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> > this is a very elemental question: how can I read a text file which
> > is gzipped?  Al documentation files are stored in this way... eg
> > README.gz
>
> Why do people suggest using things like mc(1)?  What if Marcelo hasn't
> installed midnight commander?  Let's instead suggest he learns about
> the tools on the system instead of learning about crutches such as mc.

It's their right to.  What's to say Marcelo didn't just discover 'mc'
when this person mentioned it to him?

One of the greatest characteristics of open source email lists is that
if you don't like the way "they" respond to you, you can always opt to
not participate OR you can LISTEN and LEARN...(and you'll be better for
it either way).  After all, open source is not for the faint hearted!  ;)

Perhaps a newbie benefits more from reading about an unfamiliar term or
unfamiliar application or an obscure solution to a problem than a mere
vanilla explanation because the newbie is forced to ask more questions
and required to do more digging.  Therefore, achieving a more well
rounded answer or solution?

Most of my time used to be spent pulling my hair out...and you know
what?  I am a lot balder for it now!

;)

cheers,
robt