Re: easy(?) kernel compiliation question

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:25:37PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:

> yup, that's exactly the procedure. okay, i am not really a kernel
> guru, but i have compiled *a lot* of kernels before and applied
> patches and took the make system apart...
>
> anyway, the procedure that i always follow is:
>
> (omitted for clarity) :)

Hi,

I'm new to Debian, but have been using Linux in the form of SuSE 6.4
evaluation for about six months. Under SuSE I managed to compile a custom (I
use the word loosely) kernel that worked well enough for my needs. And would
like to do the same with Debian.

My install is from the 2.2r0 binary CD set, and I have installed the
kernel-package, which I understand is used to compile a Debian kernel, but
have yet to get the source code. So I have a three part question here.

1. Where do I get the source?
2. What docs should I read before I start?
3. I'm running an IBM with a 166 Intel, no SCSI, or USB, or even PCI at this
   point, would it be best for me to stay with a 2.2.17, or move to the
   2.4.x kernel?

Now I've come across things in messages like fakeroot, and what not, also
"the Debian way" but hey, I just want a kernel that's going to work with my
hardware, and let me do what I want to do. The system is pretty basic, ESS
sound card, HP printer, and some network card that was in the machine when I
got it. (any way I can figure out what it is?)

Haven't used the network card yet, but I do have two machines and hope to be
getting a more uptodate one in the not too distant future, and would like to
network the three of them together, mostly for learning experience.

I want to learn the proper way to do these things, so any help getting me
pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Still pretty
much of a newbie, but some of the stuff is starting to stick.

Thanks,

--
  >Lute<
     Hey! It happens. Well it does...