Re: easy(?) kernel compiliation question

<snip>

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:29:03PM -0600, Lute Mullenix wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Debian, but have been using Linux in the form of SuSE 6.4
> evaluation for about six months. Under SuSE I managed to compile a custom (I
> use the word loosely) kernel that worked well enough for my needs. And would
> like to do the same with Debian.
>
> My install is from the 2.2r0 binary CD set, and I have installed the
> kernel-package, which I understand is used to compile a Debian kernel, but
> have yet to get the source code. So I have a three part question here.
>
> 1. Where do I get the source?
> 2. What docs should I read before I start?
> 3. I'm running an IBM with a 166 Intel, no SCSI, or USB, or even PCI at this
>    point, would it be best for me to stay with a 2.2.17, or move to the
>    2.4.x kernel?
>
> Now I've come across things in messages like fakeroot, and what not, also
> "the Debian way" but hey, I just want a kernel that's going to work with my
> hardware, and let me do what I want to do. The system is pretty basic, ESS
> sound card, HP printer, and some network card that was in the machine when I
> got it. (any way I can figure out what it is?)
>
> Haven't used the network card yet, but I do have two machines and hope to be
> getting a more uptodate one in the not too distant future, and would like to
> network the three of them together, mostly for learning experience.
>
> I want to learn the proper way to do these things, so any help getting me
> pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Still pretty
> much of a newbie, but some of the stuff is starting to stick.

You should really start a new thread if you have a question.  That is
probably why no one has answered this.

1.  You can download the source from - http://www.kernel.org/
    or you can snag it from one of the debian ftp or http download
    sites.  You should learn how to use "apt-get" it will make your life
    easy.

2.  You should read - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html
    and the rest of the FAQ for that matter.

3.  It doesn't sound like you really need 2.4.x yet.  I would go with
    2.2.18.  Once you become a little more familiar with debian, if you
    like, move to 2.4.x.

For the network stuff take a look at "man interfaces"
If you run into any trouble along the way let us know.
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted