[jimg@cray.com: X can't find font 'fixed' and I'm going nuts!]

----- Forwarded message from Jim Gale <jimg@cray.com> -----

From: Jim Gale <jimg@cray.com>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: X can't find font 'fixed' and I'm going nuts!

I'm getting a weird message from X when I try to start it:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I get this error with both XF4 and Xf3. It first appeared with 4.0.2-4
(but it could be unrelated to the version) and now I'm at 4.0.2-7.  The
people on #debian seemed to be familiar with this as being a symptom of
an incorrectly installed xfonts-base. I tried several times to
uninstall xfonts*, xserver*, xfree* and reinstall them. It didn't
help.  I removed all packages related to X and deleted the remaining
/etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6 cruft and then re-installed everything. Didn't
help. (yeah, I was desperate.)

I've checked and monkeyed endlessly with /etc/X11/XF86Config* to try
and get it to work. Same thing every time. My package database is
up-to-date and doesn't have any problems that I can see.

So in desperation I am emailing you hoping that you might have an idea
about what might be wrong or where I could turn to for help.

I'm including the /var/log/XFree86.0.log in case you think it might be
useful.

Thanks for any help you can provide and also for providing me with a
(mostly) excellent operating system,

Jim

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Men use thought only to justify their
Debian GNU/Linux                |   wrong doings, and speech only to conceal