Re: easy(?) kernel compiliation question

also sprach Jimmy Kaplowitz (on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:13:10PM -0500):
> What I do is, whenever I edit a configuration for my kernel, I save
> an additonal copy in /root/kernelconfig. (This works at least with
> menuconfig and xconfig.) Then, whenever I need to compile a new
> kernel, I load those settings in. Doing it that way should put in
> any new settings that are added as well as your old ones. I imagine
> it's still a good idea to check the new settings in case there's
> something important, though it's less important within the same
> series kernel.

yup, that's exactly the procedure. okay, i am not really a kernel
guru, but i have compiled *a lot* of kernels before and applied
patches and took the make system apart...

anyway, the procedure that i always follow is:

[straight out of .zhistory]

cd /usr/src
tar xfz linux-2.4.2.tar.gz
mv linux linux-2.4.2
ln -s !!:2 !!:1
cat /root/kernel.conf-2.4.1 > linux/.config
make -C linux oldconfig dep modules modules_install bzImage
cp linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.2
cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
vi /etc/lilo.conf
lilo
lilo -R linux-2.4.2

only when that worked, then do i use menuconfig to inspect the new
settings. linus has yet to create a file where he lists the options
that have changed over the last release...

make -C linux/menuconfig dep modules modules_install bzImage
cp linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.2
cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
cat linux/.config > /root/kernel.conf-2.4.2
lilo
lilo -R linux-2.4.2

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
because light travels faster than sound,
most people appear to be intelligent,