kernel install - modules? no kerneld?

New to the Debian distribution, like it so far.  Small problem with modules
and such right now.

I just finished compiling & installing my own kernel using the kernel
package.  Perhaps there were some path dependencies the packaging util was
looking for, but there were no error messages I noticed.  I extracted the
potato kernel source into /usr/src/kernelfun/, a directory owned by user,
say 'joe'.  As 'joe', I untarred the archive and followed the fakeroot, etc.
instructions.  Using xconfig, I told it to build with the module loader.  I
also specified several features to be supported as modules (like sound
support, since I have a PNP card & need to set them up with pnp before
could not find modules parport_pc, serial, and ppp, which I see /etc/modules
is telling it to load those.  Using modconf, it tells me the modules are
available, but I have no idea (yet, I'll do some looking) where it's looking
to find them.

Do I need to add kerneld manually to my init sequence?  Shouldn't installing
a kernel package that has that option automatically add it to one of the rc
files?  Just wondering if that should be a 'bug' or it's expected.

Thanks,
Bruce