Re: Rebooting woes ..was.. Rebooting is foolish ....

> if it comes to it you can always go to runlevel 1 (init 1), when it
> prompts for
> the root password hit CTRL-D to come back to runlevel 2. that will
> effectivly
> restart all programs on the system except (i think) init, and of course
> the
> kernel.
>
> restarting programs really depends on the program, some have scripts to
> restart them, others respond to the  -HUP kill signal, but not all. init
> 1
> is the next best thing to rebooting without actually having to reboot.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of not rebooting -- keeping everything running
while you reinitialize one program?  Since going to runlevel 1 essentially
brings down the system, isn't it just easier to issue a shutdown -r now?

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net

- Please always Cc to me when replying to me on the lists.
- See the mail headers for GPG/advertising/homepage information.