Re: A debian-based distro for the New

Forrest English wrote:
> > Be a real
> > friend and help them start off with the
> > *right* distribution.
>
> or you could get down off your high horse...
>
> realize that linux, is still linux.  all of those still have a lot of
> debian's good parts there, basicaly with some gui config tools, which are
> good for the handholding that some people need in the begining (although,
> i balk at the idea of corel).   i've gone redhat > mandrake > storm >
> debian.   i like debian a lot.  but, i still recommend mandrake or storm
> to people that i can't personally help all the time to do things "the
> right way".
>
> what is it about debian that inspires such zealotry?

or you could get down off *your* high horse...

What's wrong with just helping your friends to use Windows? Windows has
gui config tools, good for handholding with beginners, and it has good
application and games support.

Realise that computers are still computers. It's the task, not the
method by which the task is done.

What is it about Linux that inspires such zealotry?

Okay. Now I stop playing devil's advocate.

Linux zealots exist because of the belief that Linux is much better than
other operating systems (ie Windows). They exist because of the urge to
release other people from the grip of Microsoft, just as they themselves
have been released. They exist because of their wish for others to
experience the enlightenment (not the wm), the feelings of freedom and
the endless possibilities that an open system offers, that they
themselves have experienced.

Debian zealots are no different. They perceive that they have found a
better Linux - a Linux higher still than other Linuces. A Linux that
they wish other users to try, in the hope that they too will have a
similar experience.

What's wrong with that?