Re: A debian-based distro for the New

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 07:55:15PM -0800, Forrest English wrote:

> !! Why abuse your friends by starting them out on an inferior product and
> then making them *relearn* how to do things the Debian way. Be a real
> friend and help them start off with the
> !! *right* distribution.
> !!
> !! John
>
> or you could get down off your high horse...
>
> realize that linux, is still linux.  all of those still have a lot of
> debian's good parts there, basically with some gui config tools, which are
> good for the handholding that some people need in the beginning (although,
> i balk at the idea of corel).	i've gone redhat > mandrake > storm >
> debian.   i like debian a lot.	but, i still recommend mandrake or storm
> to people that i can't personally help all the time to do things "the
> right way".
>
> what is it about debian that inspires such zealotry?
>
> --
> Forrest English
> http://truffula.net

Hear! Hear! Case in point. I just used a Debian install (rescue) disk to
save my SuSE install. What! you say. As pointed out, Linux is Linux, when I
ran fsck.ext2 it didn't care what logo was on the CD I had installed the
system from, it just knew it was Linux and was happy to do it's job.

I too am moving to Debian, for my own reasons, but there are some things I
will miss about my SuSE install, may just keep one on it's own partition.
So, if you have a distro you like, use it, it's as much Linux as the next
one.

I have a Storm distro as yet un-opened, that I was planning on using to get
started with Debian, but after a few tries, starting to get the hang of the
Debian install utility.

Gee, that felt kinda good...