Re: A debian-based distro for the New

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:40:00 +0000, John Carline whispered to the router:

!!msgrantmatt@netscape.net wrote:
!!
!! > I got a few friends who are interested in (trying)linux. For TRYING
purposes I want them to use a debian based Linux. I love using debian 2.2
!! > and I am pretty new my-self(1.5 year). I think it might be a little
!! > overwelming for them. I beleive there are three to chose from Corel,
Storm
!! > and Libranet.
!!
!! Actually there are four good choices. Debian, Debian, Debian and
Debian. ;-)
!!
!! Why abuse your friends by starting them out on an inferior product and
then making them *relearn* how to do things the Debian way. Be a real
friend and help them start off with the
!! *right* distribution.
!!
!! John

or you could get down off your high horse...

realize that linux, is still linux.  all of those still have a lot of
debian's good parts there, basicaly with some gui config tools, which are
good for the handholding that some people need in the begining (although,
i balk at the idea of corel).	i've gone redhat > mandrake > storm >
debian.   i like debian a lot.	but, i still recommend mandrake or storm
to people that i can't personally help all the time to do things "the
right way".

what is it about debian that inspires such zealotry?

--
Forrest English
http://truffula.net

"When we have nothing left to give