XENIX Supported?

I am trying to get some info off a XENIX drive and for some reason it just
aint working.  Now I have heard conflicting reports that the XENIX or SysV
file support is only supported by floppies and not hard drives, but then i
read where people have simply compiled in the file system and presto they
got info off a hard drive.  Here is a copy of what is going on and what i
have tried:
Well what i did was compiled into the kernel the System V file
support(sysv), plus i compiled in everything else i could find in way of
filesystems, and then tried to mount the drive.
root@dsl25:~# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 969 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 848 3419104+ 83 Linux native
/dev/hda2 849 969 487872 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 849 969 487840+ 82 Linux swap
Disk /dev/hdd: 15 heads, 56 sectors, 989 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 840 * 512 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdd4 * 1 988 414932 2 XENIX root
root@dsl25:~# mount /dev/hdd4 /mnt -t sysv
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
or too many mounted file systems
Okay so the fdisk -l shows that its finding the drive, but the mount isnt
working, maybe i have the mounting wrong?
This comes from /proc/filesystems(which im under the impression that if its
in this file then its built into the kernel):

ext2
minix
umsdos
msdos
vfat
nodev proc
nodev nfs
xenix
sysv
coherent
nodev devpts
(hey i just noticed the coherent and xenix in there let me try those, but i
never did see those to be able to build them
into the kernel so I used SysV since supposedly there the same)
Here are the results of that idea:
root@dsl25:/proc# mount /dev/hdd4 /mnt -t xenix
root@dsl25:/proc# mount /dev/hdd4 /mnt -t coherent
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
or too many mounted file systems
A little more info about the box its on:
root@dsl25:~# uname -a
Linux dsl25 2.2.16 #4 Tue Feb 6 00:13:49 CST 2001 i586 unknown
Okay I gotta be messing up the mount command or the drive is toast..any
ideas? I was on IRC and someone told me when i do the -t to remove the
space, well i tried that and get the same error messages.  Another idea is
that maybe i should go back to a earlier kernel maybe the support for the
file system as better in previous version of the kernel?  Wondering what
that will do to the box and if its even worth it, never gone backwards on a
kernel just forward.....any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom