Re: XENIX Supported?

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:09:20AM -0600, Tom Warfield wrote:

> I am trying to get some info off a XENIX drive and for some reason it just
> aint working.  Now I have heard conflicting reports that the XENIX or SysV
> file support is only supported by floppies and not hard drives, but then i
> read where people have simply compiled in the file system and presto they
> got info off a hard drive.

What I have done in the past is not even bother with the file system on the
Xenix machine. I get a null modem cable, put Kermit on each box (the Xenix
and the Linux) and just suck the files from one to the other. If you start
Kermit on the Xenix in 'server' mode, and tweak the other Kermit properly,
you can get rather fast transfer rates, and Kermit's (still rather
excellent) error correction. In the end you have all the data that was on
the Xenix on your Linux ext2 file system.

hth

--
Bob Bernstein
at