Re: 2.4.1 kernel and Debian

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:45:59AM -0600, waynes@techgod.net wrote:
> Tonite I'm going to install a fresh Debian on my Computer and then Upgrade to the 2.4.1 kernel.  First of all, wish me luck.  Next, can anyone give me a status on some of the problems that I will be facing.  I've also heard that 2.4.1 compiles better on unstable rather that stable.  Is this true?  Shoud I use unstable?  To give more info on the machine, it is a clone, AMD Thunderbird 800mhz, 128 meg of ram, 7gig IDE HD, Sound Blaster sound card, Nvida TNT2 w/16 meg, Voodoo2, 2 USB, 3C905B-TX nic.  I also plan on installing KDE 2.0, I've also heard of problems with KDE 2.0 and 2.4.1, can anyone comment on this?
> Also any sugestions on the install would be greatly accepted, for instance, should I use the Sound Blaster modual or should I use ALSA?

I am running 3 potato systems with 2.4.x and have no problems.  I'm also
running an unstable system with 2.4.1.  Again, no problems.  In order to
run 2.4.x on stable you'll need to upgrade your modutils package.  I've
made an upgraded modutils package available at
http://locust.lcs.mit.edu/~noahm/modutils.

KDE 2.0 does not depend on any kernel stuff, and works just fine with
2.4.x.  I have it installed on my unstable system and it works just
fine.

I can't comment on the kernel driver for your sound card.

noah