Any experience with new NVIDIA drivers?

I'm using a Gigabyte 6XOM7E-1 Mobo with a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster
Riva TNT. Debian 2.2r2 testing. I just installed the nvidia 0.9-6 from
tarball. I followed the instructions in NVIDIA_Linux.html, including
renaming /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a,
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a, /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so* and
libGLcore.so*. I didn't had any /usr/lib/libGL.so file. When I tried
xscreen-demo GL savers, the speed was very slow, so I tried searching
for Mesa* files and I renamed libMesaGL.so.3 and libMesaGLU.so.3. I made
a symlink from libMesaGL to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1, and from libMesaGLU.
Now when I try GL savers, I get a shared library not found relating
libGLU.so, so I deleted the libMesaGLU symlink. No success. Any ideas?