Re: How to install Java in Mozilla under Debian?

I have Sun's JDK 1.3 and 1.3.0_01, not Blackdown's. Java works fine outside
of Mozilla, and even in Netscape 4 with the plugin. But when I tried to follow
your suggestion and linked the Netscape 4 plugin to the Mozilla directory,
it crashed whenever I went to about:plugins or a Java page. The Netscape 6 /
Mozilla plugin that comes with JDK 1.3.0_01 does not crash Mozilla, and it
shows up in the about:plugins page, but Java pages still prompt me to install
the plugin. What could be wrong?

Is the problem that I'm using the Debian package of Mozilla, which is not
a nightly build but release M18, package revision number 3? If so, how do I
install either a nightly build or Mozilla 0.7 in a shared, write-protected
(for normal users) directory such as /usr/local/mozilla or /usr/lib/mozilla?
The release notes say to install it separately for each user.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org